Customer Relations Specialists are on the front lines of providing excellent customer services and resources to pet parents in Chester & Delaware counties in Pennsylvania, and the state of Delaware. Specialists assist the public seven days a week by telephone, email and instant message to provide rapid response to inquiries, and must be passionate about helping people find the ideal pet or obtain the resources they need. Must be organized, appreciate attention to detail and data gathering, and be a good listener, converse with people to understand their needs/concerns, and display problem-solving skills. Must be able to think on your feet, stay calm under pressure, and have a background in customer services or social services.
DUTIES AND DAILY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents BVSPCA in a professional, polite, and enthusiastic manner.
- Contacts each BVSPCA adopter by telephone the week following adoption
- Answers incoming shelter phone calls for each campus
- Follows up with Animal Health Center clients to check on patients and to reschedule missed appointments
- Work in shelter and clinic software to document conversations and create appointments for customers and clients
- Maintains a current and fluid library of community and company resources to assist pet parents with any behavioral, economical, medical or housing challenges they may be experiencing
- Respond to inquiries relating to surrendering/relinquishing a pet or found pets via phone and email correspondence respectfully and compassionately.
- Schedule owner relinquishment appointments and when appropriate, connect owners with resources that promote and assist with pet retention.
- Adheres to all BVSPCA organizational policies and procedures.
- Maintains a positive attitude, and can deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Other duties as assigned
PERFORMANCE FACTORS AND NECESSARY SKILLS:
- Compassionate and respectful attitude in the face of highly emotional situations.
- Willingness to understand and learn about animal behavior.
- Resourcefulness and the desire to go above and beyond to help owners retain their pets or if appropriate, create a plan for surrender that best assists the owner and the animal.
- Communication and Contact: Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside of BVSPCA, display tact and above average communication and customer service skills. Must be able to maintain confidentiality and must be able to convey a positive and professional image to the public and employees.
- Attendance and Dependability: Must be able to report to work at the scheduled time; ensure the department is ready to open on time each day, can be depended on to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIVENESS:
- Work effectively with individuals and colleagues from diverse communities and cultures.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practice.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
- Maintain a clean, healthy, and sanitary work area
- A high school diploma
- At least one year of Customer Service or Call Center experience
- Ability to multitask under high-pressure situations.
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of the BVSPCA.
- Familiarity with humane animal treatment and the Five Freedoms
- Comfortable working in the shelter environment and willing to accommodate animals in the work place.
- Computer literate and able to master PetPoint and Hippo software as applicable to adoption operations, scheduling and veterinary client follow-up
- Self-motivated and able to initiate and complete tasks.
- Work is performed in a shelter or clinic setting.
- Regular sitting at a computer workstation 6-8 hours per day
- Consistent exposure to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.